Links to music
sites and resources
- Dan Krimm- Fretless electric
bassist with whom I've performed my originals in the LA area. Check out Krimm's
clever Ma Nishtana MP3!
- Greg Osby - Alto saxophonist
& composer. Link goes to his "resources" page, where he posts
charts and outlines interesting compositional ideas.
Creative Music/Free Time
Possibly the best jazz radio show in the entire world; broadcasts Thursdays
10 p.m. - Midnight, on 88.3 FM out of San Diego, CA.
- Dave Latchaw - Jazz pianist
and composer living in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- Pat Kelley - Terrific straight-ahead
LA jazz guitarist.
- Art Johnson - My 3rd guitar teacher - encyclopaedic knowlege of music &
- Vinny Golia - Multi-reed
player, plays both free jazz and New Music. This is the site of his label
- Duncan James - My 2nd jazz
guitar teacher and a funny guy - a burning bebop player.
- Nels Cline- One of my favorite
LA guitarists. Really creative & exciting.
McAuley- Jim is just about my favorite LA guitarist. Plays acoustic, microtuned
guitars with a nimble finger-picking technique, employing floating bridges
and even Delta-style slide! His name links to an interesting interview with
Jeff Alu - Prolific LA area modern classical composer. Very
interesting ideas. Check his MP3.com site for free music DLs.
- Dogs Gone Fishing - Doug
Kolmar's slightly skewed pop compositions and duo. I especially
admire his pre-duo overdub piece, "The Gamut Minus One,"
and his solo extended techniques on guitar, under his own name.
- Frets.com - Home guitar repair guide.
- Future of Music Coalition - Grassroots musicians' digital music watchdog
group wants you.
- Very cool website, selling independent and small label innovative
jazz albums at no cost to the musician.
- Jazz World Database
- Comprehensive listings of artists, agents and bookers, festivals,
instrument makers, and on and on...
- A jazz info site, featuring discography, interviews, links,
- Cheap online strings.
- Larry Vigneault's Guitar
Set-Up and Repair guide
- Terrific resource for electric guitarists. Everything from
technical advice to Larry's own music and well-researched links.
- Musicians and Injuries
- "How come I can't feel my fingers anymore?!" Symptoms
and preventive tips. Inform thyself.
- NeckUp - Ergonomic
device for hollow-body and classical guitarists replaces a strap.
This particular rest has the best design I've come across - I've
been using a NeckUp for quite awhile and highly recommend it.
- RealPlayer - Download the free version so you can listen
to my audio samples! Look for the RealPlayer Basic 8 - that's
the free one.
- Sound Surgeon
- Where my album BAIL! was recorded.
- U.S. Copyright Office
- Get it registered! Costs the same amount to register one piece
of music as it does to register your complete works. It's cheap
- so do it!
- Barbara Meyer Fiore - She
did my CD cover art, layout and graphics. A portfolio of cartoon
art she designed for commercial websites.
- Karen Lewis - Her
cartoons plastered all over mugs, T-shirts, etc.
- HTML color codes - For use in designing your own web pages. Expand
- ACLU - Join their "Alert List" and get email
alerts of quick actions you can take to protect your own civil liberties.
- Afghan civilian bombing casualties - 3,767 civilians were
killed by US bombs between October 7 and December 10. Professor
Marc Herold of University of New Hampshire compiled stats from corroborated
internat'l news and eyewitness reports. The figures missing from most American
newspapers and radio reports, updated regularly by Prof. Herold.
- Amnesty International - Internat'l human rights watchdog group.
- BBC World News - Print version; streamed BBC radio reports available
in sidebar. A good source if you want to get close to the truth.
- Campaign Against Depleted Uranium - Efforts to stop the use of DU in weapons such
as those used in Gulf War; it causes leukemia.
- Common Dreams - Progressive news site.
- Consortium News - Non-profit news outlet with emphasis on liberal political opinion.
- Doctors Without Borders - Int'l medical teams who bring medicines and
treatment to people who otherwise can't get it due to sanctions, lack of money,
- GreenNet - Collective
working for peace, human rights and the environment through the use of information
and communication technologies (ICTs).
Rights Watch - Int'l
organization documents rights abuses; also an independent news source.
- International Action Center - Ramsey Clarke's organization. Vibrant int'l
- Irish Mexico Group - Background on the peasant revolt in Chiapas.
- Liberal Oasis -Mark Spittle's political site - the creator of the funny li'l
- Manchester Guardian - World news and opinion from a liberal, UK perspective; my favorite
- Media Alliance - Political activism in journalism. They publish the Bay Area
media review, Media File.
- MediaChannel.org - Media watchdog, altenative news reports.
- New Yorker archives - Look for Seymour M. Hersh articles under "ANNALS
OF NATIONAL SECURITY"
- National Public Radio.
Download or stream reports from today's news or from the archives.
- Oxfam - Fighting
poverty, suffering and injustice worldwide.
- PaxPeace.net - Int'l calendar of peace events. Scroll down for your city.
- PeaceAction.Org - California's largest peace organization.
- RadioProject.org - Alternative radio programming. Listen to archived streams of
the program Making Contact.
- RAWA - Afghan
feminist organization. Women who have fought for freedom of women under the
- United Nations news - Get news on international humanitarian aid campaigns straight
from the horse's mouth. Another alternative news source when the papers fail.
- ¡Viva Zapata! - Political Cartoons and graphics of Mexico.